Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Preparations


By Noel Spencer

It’s a lot of work getting married. I thought since it would just be my brother and Jesse’s sister attending it would be a piece of cake, but it’s turning out to be a lot of running round. Jesse can help with some things around the house, but when it comes to executing errands around town, I’m doing most of that, including renting a car to pick up Jesse’s sister at the airport. She doesn’t get that people take cabs in NYC, so we’ve got to pick her up in a rental. It’s just one more thing.

I also must pick up Jesse’s dress from the cleaners. They are doing the alterations. I thought I could do it. I can sew a little, but this is special. I want it done right. The seamstress is over on Metropolitan Avenue. She is a Indian woman, and she’s done a great job in the past with minor alterations. We ordered Jesse’s dress online, and it is gorgeous. It just needs to be bigger. When I told the woman doing the alterations we want it to be let out, she tried to explain to me that I must have it wrong. All brides want to have their dress taken IN.

After much back and forth about whether I was right or wrong, she told me it would cost more for letting it out. She suggested it was about the extra fabric. I almost argued with her on this. Why does it cost more for someone to make something bigger than smaller? It is as if she is penalizing us for Jesse being fat. Ultimately, after speaking with some friends, they assured me that extra fabric would cost more.

All of this is to say: I picked up Jesse’s dress today! She tried it on, and she looks stunning. Even though the woman altered it to be bigger, I had her make it slightly smaller than Jesse’s size. It’s super tight, and her voluptuous, glorious body shows in all its glory. She’s beautiful, sumptuous, and classic all at once.

Jesse watches this show Say Yes to the Dress all the time. Her favorite part is when women get all weepy over their dresses. Gets her every time. She says they know when they put it on.
When Jesse tried on that dress…

God, let me tell you…she was perfection. The look on her face was priceless. And the tears flowed…and flowed.

I can’t wait for Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment